DARIEN, CONN. -- The senior program at Darien’s Mather Center has released its events calendar for February.
- Living to 100: 11 a.m. Monday, Feb. 1. Your odds of becoming a centenarian are partly based on your genes, but there are a few helpful habits that you can pick up even if you don’t hit the genetic jackpot. Come and learn the habits with Barbara Newland of the Ridgefield Visiting Nurse Association and maybe you’ll be blowing out 100 candles on your birthday cake!
- Art Gottlieb history series: 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 2. Gottlieb will talk about the New York City subway system. Preceded only by the opening of the London Railway System in 1863, the first “Rapid Transit System” in New York City began carrying passengers in 1868. Consisting of the IRT (Interboro Rapid Transit Company), the BRT (Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company) and the IND (Independent Subway System), it remains the most extensive in the world, with 714 miles of track, 468 stations and 6,241 subway cars in use.
- Conversational Spanish: Classes are 11 a.m. Tuesdays. Are you a beginning Spanish speaker? Intermediate? Are you looking to use your Spanish speaking skills on a regular basis? Instructor Sybil Taccone will begin classes on Tuesday, Feb. 2. She will host fun conversations in Spanish and provide corrections to vocabulary and verb tense.
- Oral health and heart disease: 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 3. Complimentary Lunch at noon. Does a healthy mouth equal a healthy heart? More and more, the research says "yes." Heart disease is a serious problem around the world. So is poor oral health. Could better brushing and flossing give you a healthier heart? A representative of Visiting Nurse and Hospice of Fairfield County will present a program on how to prevent gum disease and heart disease. In recognition of National Heart Health month,wear your red!
- Deb, the “Bra Lady”: (For women only) 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 4. You’ve probably heard about all the benefits of a properly fitting bra. Yes, it’ll make your breasts look better, but it’ll also make you look thinner and taller, and it'll alleviate back and shoulder pain. Trouble is, the majority of us aren’t wearing the best bras for our breasts. Deb the Bra Lady - a lingerie expert and bra fitter with Essential Body wear, will explain how to find the right style for your shape.
- Real estate lunch and learn : Real estate agent Ingrid Hess will lead discussions. Part 1 of the series is 12:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 9. Part 2 of the series will cover over-55 living communities and part 3 will cover assisted living communities. Check your newsletter for the upcoming program dates. A complimentary lunch will be served at noon. Space is limited so sign up early.
- Heart health: 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 10. Heart disease may be a leading cause of death, but that doesn't mean you have to accept it as your fate. Although you lack the power to change some risk factors -- such as family history, sex or age -- there are some key heart disease prevention steps you can take. A representative of CT Pharmacy will be here to present tips for decreasing heart disease risks.
- Kenny Cappetta entertains: 12:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 11. Lunch is $4 and starts at noon. Kenny Cappetta will sing some favorite hits and old standards. Come dust off your dancing shoes and enjoy an afternoon with music and friends.
- The center is located at 2 Renshaw Road. It can be reached by calling (203) 656-7490.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.