Contact Us
Darien Daily Voice serves Darien, CT
Return to your home site


Darien Daily Voice serves Darien, CT

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Showers, Storms For First Saturday Of Summer

Connecticut Offers Special ID Flag Insignia For Veterans

Connecticut veterans that they can get an American flag placed on any state-issued ID card.
Connecticut veterans that they can get an American flag placed on any state-issued ID card. Photo Credit: File

FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Connecticut residents who have served in the armed forces can get an American flag placed on any state-issued ID card to designate the special status as a veteran.

The insignia is designed to help businesses and service providers establish eligibility for discounts, programs and services available to veterans.

“Connecticut was one of the first states in the union to adopt veterans’ identification on a driver’s license. This form of identification has been accepted by businesses and agencies across the nation with great success,” said DVA Commissioner Linda Schwartz.

An applicant must submit a request to have this status included to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs at least 30 days before visiting a Department of Motor Vehicles or AAA office.

Once the VA verifies the veteran status through a DD Form 214 or other proof of honorable discharge, it will electronically notify the DMV.

“Although this program has been in effect for over a year now, some businesses in Connecticut have been slow to embrace this initiative. We are here today because we want that to change and raise awareness of this program so our veterans receive the recognition and considerations they deserve,”  said Gov. Dannel Malloy in a statement.

Businesses that offer discounts and other services for veterans should rely on the flag symbol on drivers’ licenses and ID cards as sufficient identification for veteran status.

The program also extends a free lifetime pass for state parks, forests, and recreational facilities to any resident who is a disabled wartime veteran, as defined under state or federal law.

The application can be downloaded online .

Veterans can also request a flag symbol by mailing an application and additional documentation to the state Department of Veterans’ Affairs at:

CT Department of Veterans’ Affairs Attn: Veteran’s Flag on Driver License or ID Card 287 West St. Rocky Hill, CT 06067

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Darien Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.