DARIEN, Conn. -- The Darien Police Department has compiled a list of tips to help children, parents, homeowners and motorists have a safe Halloween.
- Always escort your children and carry a flashlight.
- Be familiar with the neighborhood where your children will be trick-or-treating.
- Set a specific time for your child/children to be out.
- Always know who is trick-or-treating with your children.
- Walk on the sidewalks and not in the middle of the street.
- Instruct your children NEVER to enter any homes.
- Stay in well-lit areas.
- Inspect all treats before allowing children to eat them.
- Choose fireproof comfortable costumes made of light colored material so they can be easily seen in the dark.
- Consider placing reflective or glow in the dark tape on your children’s costumes.
- Have children avoid wearing eye makeup or masks, which will restrict their vision.
- Avoid having children carry replica firearms, swords, or toys which can be mistaken for the real thing.
- Give out only commercially wrapped candy.
- Teach children their home and/or parent’s cellular phone number in case they get lost.
- Consider a Halloween party at your residence instead of going out to trick-or-treat.
- Do not trick-or-treat by yourself.
- If props are carried, they should be made of soft rubber, Styrofoam or other pliable material.
- Do not take short cuts, especially through alleys.
- Obey all traffic signals and look in all directions when crossing the street.
- Don’t run. Walk to your intended destination and don’t dart in and out of cars or driveways. If there are no side-walks stay as far left of the roadway as possible.
- Walk in the direction facing traffic.
- Only trick-or-treat at homes with their porch light on. Never approach a car offering candy.
- Wait until you get home before eating any treats.
- Turn on your porch light so children know it is all right to visit your home.
- If you are placing a Jack-O-Lantern on your porch, place a glow stick inside instead of a candle.
- Hand out only commercially wrapped candy.
- Never invite children into your home.
- Keep pets away from children.
- Maintain clear walkways that are free from obstruction.
- If using candles, keep them away from the path of children.
- Immediately notify the Darien Police Department of any suspicious activity (203-662-5300.) Dial 9-1-1 in case of an emergency
- Drive slowly and cautiously.
- Look for children walking on the street, running, and darting in between parked vehicles.
- Be extra careful when entering and exiting driveways.
- Play your music at a reasonable volume so you can listen for potential children crossing your path.
- Do not use your cell phone and never drink and drive.