DARIEN, Conn. -- Darien police are warning residents to expect traffic detours and restrictions during the town's annual Memorial Day parade on Monday, May 30.
The parade will step off from Goodwives Shopping Center on Old Kings Highway North at 10 a.m., proceeding up Brookside Road and turning left onto Post Road. The parade will proceed westbound on Post Road and end in the area of Spring Grove Cemetery.
In order to provide a safe environment and to accommodate parade participants and spectators, Darien police advise the following:
- There will be no on-street parking on Sedgwick Avenue, Mechanic Street or Old Kings Highway North near the entrance to Goodwives Shopping Center.
- The Brookside Road and Old Kings Highway North approaches to Goodwives Shopping Center will be closed to all vehicular traffic at 8 a.m.
- All vehicles participating in the parade should enter Goodwives Shopping Center via Sedgwick Avenue or Mechanic Street.
- Persons dropping off parade participants should use Sedgwick Avenue or Mechanic Street.
- No vehicles will be allowed to travel on Post Road from Interstate-95 entrance 13 westbound to Old Kings Highway South during the parade.
- Old Kings Highway South from Goodwives River Road to Post Road will be posted a "no parking" area.
Spectators are asked not to bring backpacks or large bags to the parade area. They are also asked to remain on sidewalks, curbsides, or as close as practical to the roadway edge throughout the duration of the parade. Police said this is necessary to ensure the safety of viewers and marchers alike.
Motorists are advised to avoid the downtown area during the parade. for your cooperation.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.