DARIEN, Conn. - Over the past week The Darien Daily Voice has looked back at some of the biggest stories of 2012 . Below is a list of the five biggest news events in town over the past year.
- Hurricane Sandy battered Darien and surrounding towns right before Halloween. Thousands lost power, roads were blocked off, homes were destroyed and schools were closed for a week.
- In September Darien's town government rejected an ordinance that would ban plastic shopping bags in Darien stores. The group Choose to Reuse in Darien had fought for years to get the ordinance passed, but were unsuccessful.
- Amelia McCann, a 45-year-old mother of three, drowned in her backyard pool on Mansfield Place on the Fourth of July.
- Darien resident Tighe Sullivan was killed in a helicopter crash in Pennsylvania in October. Sullivan, 51, was the father of three children and husband to Callie Sullivan, a former selectman.
- In October all charges were dropped against William Bryan Jennings , a former Morgan Stanley executive who had been accused of a hate crime. The charges stemmed from an altercation with a New York cab driver.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.