Contact Us
Darien Daily Voice serves Darien, CT

Menu

Darien Daily Voice serves Darien, CT

Nearby Towns

news

Fire Guts Home, Kills Family Dog

A fire ripped through a house at 16 Sunset Road late Wednesday night, leaving the interior ruined and a dog dead. According to Darien Fire Marshall Robert Buch, the blaze was likely the result of a fire that the owners had made in their fireplace earlier in the evening.

"We're not sure at this time whether something fell out of the fireplace or some sparks caught on fire," Buch said.

Buch said the owners woke up to the smell of smoke and opened the bedroom door to find the upstairs hallway filled with smoke. They then exited the house. "The house did not have smoke detectors. They were fortunate to wake up when they did," Buch said.

The fire was reported at 10:34 p.m. and the Darien Fire Department was the first to respond to the scene, followed by the Noroton Fire Department and Noroton Heights Fire Department. According to Buch, the firefighters spent about 30 minutes dealing with heavy fire conditions, which he described as a "wall of fire." They were on the scene for a few more hours after that dealing with hot spots.

"There was a considerable amount of damage," Buch said. "The house is probably a total loss. There was damage from the fire, as well as from heat and smoke."

There was no damage to any surrounding houses. The owners' dog was killed in the fire, and the husband was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. "Otherwise they were fine," Buch said.

According to Buch, the house was an old colonial, built in the 1920s or '30s. The fire started in the family room, located in an addition that was added to the back of the house in the '60s. Buch said smoke detectors were not a requirement when the house or the addition was built.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Darien Daily Voice!

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.