DARIEN, Conn. ‒ A registered sex offender from Stamford was arrested after a woman accused him of trying to open her car door at a Darien intersection, police said.
Gary Shurtleff was charged with breach of peace and interfering with an officer. He was held on $250 bond and appeared in court Dec. 11.
The woman was stopped at a red light at the corner of Post and Tokeneke roads on Dec.10 when Shurtleff approached her car and tried to open the door, according to police reports. The woman’s two children were in the car and upset by the incident, police said. The woman sped off and called police.
Police saw Shurtleff later leaving the Dunkin' Donuts near the intersection. When he spotted the police cruiser, he turned and walked in the other direction before being stopped, police said. Shurtleff initially identified himself as Roger Moore, then Gary Moore, before admitting his true identity, according to police reports.
Police determined that Shurtleff had an extensive criminal history, including 34 arrests in Connecticut as well as arrests in California, Florida, Maryland, New York and Virginia. He is a registered sex offender in Connecticut. In May, he was found guilty of public indecency.
- 1 Dogs Attack Woman And Her Labrador At Darien's Tilley Pond Park
- 2 Stop & Shop Recalls Several Frozen Food Items
- 3 Truck Gets Wedged Under Metro-North Train Bridge On Route 1 In Darien
- 4 Darien Selectman Kicks Up Her Heels At ElderHouse's Dancing With The Stars
- 5 Darien Man Wins Paddle With A Paddle To Benefit AmeriCares