FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- With tax day fast approaching, WalletHub.com released a report reminding Fairfield County residents that most taxpayers around the country have it better than they do.
Connecticut was named as the 48th state for taxpayers, with an average annual tax burden of $9,099, or 31 percent above the national average, the study found.
Wallethub ranked each state in the following categories to come up with its ranking: Real estate tax, state income tax, local income tax, vehicle property tax, vehicle sales tax, sales and use tax, fuel tax, alcohol tax, food tax and telecommunications tax.
If there's any solace for Connecticut taxpayers, it's that neighboring New York was ranked as No. 51, good for dead last (including Washington, D.C.) with an average tax burden of $9718, which is 40 percent higher than the national average, according to WalletHub.
Wyoming ranked as the best state for taxpayers, with an annual average tax burden of $2365, or 66 percent below the national average.
Alaska, Nevada, Florida and South Dakota rounded out the Top 5.
California, Nebraska and Illinois rounded out the bottom five with New York and Connecticut.
- 1 Darien Goalie Takes North Carolina To NCAA Women's Final Four
- 2 Population Grows In Darien, All Of Fairfield County
- 3 Obama Sweeps Into Stamford To Raise Cash For Democratic Party
- 4 Obama Departs From Westchester After Attending Stamford Event
- 5 Darien Names Navy Vet Chris Pintauro As Memorial Day Speaker