DARIEN, Conn. – Mary L. Vernon of Darien died Oct. 30 at Stamford Hospital. She was 90.
Born Sept. 8, 1922, in Evanston, Ill., she was the daughter of Madeline and Robert Moorhead. She graduated from New Trier High School in Winnetka, Ill., and Barat College of the Sacred Heart.
Vernon was a parishioner of Our Lady Star of the Sea Church and a longtime volunteer at Stamford Hospital. She also enjoyed golf, bridge group and investment club. She was a member of the Innis Arden Golf Club and Noroton Yacht Club. Above all, she enjoyed spending time with her family.
She is survived by four children, Gerald (Anne) Vernon Jr., of Fairhaven, N.J., Ann Vernon, of Fairfield, Margot (Daniel) Sullivan, of Darien, and William (Jill) Vernon, of Darien; a brother, Thomas Moorhead, of Lake Forest, Ill.; 11 grandchildren and a great-granddaughter. She was predeceased by her husband of 62 years, Gerald Vernon, on Sept. 21, 2012; a brother, Robert Moorhead; and a sister, Ellen Gorman.
A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday at Our Lady Star of the Sea Church in Stamford. Burial will be held at Island Cemetery in Newport, R.I. Edward Lawrence Funeral Home in Darien is handling arrangements.
- 1 Police: Missing Stamford Man Found Dead On Shippan Beach
- 2 Pedestrian Struck, Killed By Train At Fairfield Station
- 3 Three Charged With Stealing Copper, Doorknobs From Darien Home
- 4 Car Rollover On I-95 In Fairfield Requires Complicated Extractions
- 5 Malloy Signs Order Banning State-Funded Travel To Indiana