DARIEN, Conn. -- A Darien man suffered life-threatening injuries in an accident Friday night after his car went off the road and became airborne on Nearwater Lane, police said.
The 33-year-old resident of Pratt Island was driving north on Nearwater Lane at about 11 p.m. Friday when his 2015 Audi A3 went off the road near a left curve in the road, police said. The car struck a stone wall and became airborne before striking several trees and landing on the ground, police said.
The car was totaled, and the motor was separated from the rest of the vehicle, police said.
Speed was most likely a factor in the accident, police said.
The Noroton Fire Department extricated the man from his car. He was transported to Stamford Hospital, where he was treated for multiple life-threatening injuries.
The driver, who was the sole occupant of the car at the time of the accident, was still in the critical care unit as of Monday, police said.
It took about 30 minutes to remove the man from his car, police said.
Investigators spent four to five hours processing the scene, and the accident remains under investigation, police said.
- 1 Dogs Attack Woman And Her Labrador At Darien's Tilley Pond Park
- 2 Stop & Shop Recalls Several Frozen Food Items
- 3 Truck Gets Wedged Under Metro-North Train Bridge On Route 1 In Darien
- 4 Darien Selectman Kicks Up Her Heels At ElderHouse's Dancing With The Stars
- 5 Darien Man Wins Paddle With A Paddle To Benefit AmeriCares