DARIEN, Conn. - The Darien Police Department is issuing traffic advisories for two big town events held during the July 4th weekend.
The YWCA “Push and Pull Parade” is scheduled for Friday, July 4, at 10:30 a.m.
Motorists are advised to avoid the downtown area during the parade due to traffic restrictions, which could cause delays.
The parade will step off from the Goodwives Shopping Center on Old Kings Highway North at 10:30 a.m., proceeding up Brookside Road and turning left onto the Post Road. The parade will continue westbound on the Post Road and make a right turn onto West Avenue. The parade will end at Tilley Park.
The Post Road, or Route 1, will be closed from Brookside Road to West Avenue.
The following regulations will be in force the evening of Saturday, July 5, for the fireworks display at Darien High School. (The rain date is Sunday, July 6):
• All parking in the high school lot will be with a pre-paid permit only. This permit must be visible in the vehicle windshield when approaching the main gate.
• All traffic will enter the high school grounds via Noroton Avenue. Cars will be parked facing away from the high school area to expedite traffic flow at the conclusion of the display. No vehicles will be allowed to enter the high school property until 6 p.m.
• A limited number of handicapped parking spaces are available. A handicapped permit will be required to access the handicapped area.
Due to the large number of persons expected to attend, residents should allow sufficient time to walk to the fireworks display area.
About 34 police officers will be stationed at various points along the way with barricades and “No Parking” signs. Tow away zones will be enforced. Vehicles determined to be in a hazardous location, vehicles that are impeding traffic flow and vehicles that are blocking driveways will be towed by a wrecker that will be on site throughout the event.
Here are more parking tips:
• Noroton Avenue: No parking
• Holly Lane (public portion only): Parking on south side only, facing Middlesex Road.
• Libby Lane: Parking on west side only, facing Middlesex Road.
• Parking lots within a half-mile – DCA, St. Thomas Moore
• Parking lots within 1 mile – Middlesex Middle School and McGuane Field
No alcoholic beverages are allowed on any school property. In addition, anyone caught tampering with or removing "No Parking" signs will be arrested.
When capacity has been reached for all parking, Noroton Avenue Extension will be closed. Parents will not be allowed into the high school area to pick up children until after the roads are clear. Parents should arrange a pickup site and tell their children to wait at that site until they can gain entry into the area. For the safety of all spectators, light-colored clothing should be worn and spectators should carry a flashlight or a chemical light.
A police department and emergency services command post will be located in the parking lot near the entrance to the football field.
As a safety precaution, all bags, backpacks and coolers will be subject to inspection.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.