DARIEN, Conn. – A Darien teenager was arrested on drunken driving charges after he was spotted driving on only a tire rim, and his incapacitated passenger was hospitalized, Darien police said.
At 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, a witness reported a vehicle driving in the area of Heights Road and Noroton Avenue that was missing a tire and driving only on its front rim, police said.
Officers located the vehicle parked next to an air pump at a nearby gas station, police said.
The driver, identified as David Christian Bognar, of 236 Old Kings Highway N., "seemed incoherent and was exhibiting signs of intoxication," police said in a statement.
A juvenile passenger in the vehicle was unresponsive and under the influence of alcohol or drugs, police said. The juvenile was incapacitated and transported to the hospital for treatment, police said. The juvenile's subsequent condition was not reported.
Bognar failed field sobriety tests and arrested, police said. Officers also determined he had struck a nearby utility pole and left the scene of the accident, police said.
Bognar was charged with driving while intoxicated and evading responsibility. He was released on a promise to appear in court April 22.
- 1 National Weather Service: Darien's Winter Won't Be So Bad
- 2 CDC Confirms First Case Of EV-D68 In Connecticut Child
- 3 Darien High School Students Named National Merit Semifinalists
- 4 Darien Customers Could Be Affected By Home Depot Credit Card Breach
- 5 Western Connecticut Reopens Evacuated Buildings On Midtown Danbury Campus