DARIEN, Conn. -- A Darien woman was charged with stealing potted plants from Stop & Shop on Friday afternoon, according to police.
Stephanie Zangrillo, 55, was charged with sixth-degree larceny. She posted $250 bond and will appear in court Sept. 9.
Police received a complaint from the Stop & Shop in the Goodwives Shopping Center at about 12:45 p.m. Friday.
Witnesses told police that they had seen a woman loading a cartful of potted plants into the back of her BMW SUV, police said. When confronted, she jumped in the car and sped away at a high rate of speed, according to police reports. Witnesses were able to get part of the license plate, which police used to track down Zangrillo.
Officers spoke to Zangrillo and asked whether she took the potted plants, she said they were in her garage, police said. Officers looked in the garage and found the 14 plants partially covered with a tarp, police said.
Zangrillo told police she was willing to go back to the store and pay the $137.86 that the plants were worth. She was then taken into custody.
- 1 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Reported Off Long Island Waters
- 2 Darien Teen Charged With Possession Of Alcohol At Fireworks
- 3 Stamford EMTs Use Narcan For First Time To Save Man From Overdose
- 4 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money
- 5 Darien College Student Among White House Interns