NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- A small fire broke out in the basement of a home on Hemlock Hill Road in New Canaan on Tuesday morning, but firefighters were able to extinguish it quickly, according to the New Canaan Advertiser.
Fighters arrived on scene shortly before 3 a.m. Tuesday and found the small fire behind a wall in the basement using thermal imaging cameras, according to the New Canaan Advertiser. The homeowners had been alerted by both their fire alarms and their dog, the New Canaan Advertiser reported.
Fire officials told the New Canaan Advertiser that the fireplace ash dump was walled over when the basement was finished, and that hot embers from the fireplace had fallen into the wall cavity. They were able to extinguish the fire with minimal damage to the home, according to the New Canaan Advertiser.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.