FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- U.S. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) has proposed the first increase in the federal gas tax since 1993, according to thehill.com.
The bipartisan bill proposed by Murphy and Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) on Wednesday would increase the gas tax 12 cents over the next two years to help cover the shortfall in the Highway Trust Fund, thehill.com reported.
“We’re losing hundreds of millions of dollars in economic productivity because we’re failing to invest in our nation’s roadway and rails,” Murphy told thehill.com. “You’re not going to find, virtually, any member of Congress who is proposing to spend less money on infrastructure over the next 10 years.”
- 1 Darien's Chilton, Halvorsen Make List Of Forbes Billionaires
- 2 March Comes In Like A Lion As Latest Snowstorm Hits Darien
- 3 Darien Will See Widespread Snow Sunday Into Monday
- 4 Former NBA All-Star, New York Knicks Player Anthony Mason Dies At 48
- 5 Winter Weather Advisory Issued For New Round Of Snow Tuesday In Darien