Contact Us
Darien Daily Voice serves Darien, CT
Return to your home site


Darien Daily Voice serves Darien, CT

Nearby Towns


Darien Readers Favor More Gun Control After Newtown Tragedy

U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal is one of several lawmakers who have called for stricter gun control after the shootings in Newtown on Friday.
U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal is one of several lawmakers who have called for stricter gun control after the shootings in Newtown on Friday. Photo Credit: Thomas Caine, file

DARIEN, Conn. — The majority of our Darien readers would like stricter gun control laws enacted after Friday's deadly shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, according to The Darien Daily Voice's poll conducted Tuesday .

When asked whether gun control laws should be strengthened after the killing of 26 people in Newtown, about 67 percent replied, "Yes." The remaining 33 percent said, "No. It is our right to own guns."

About half of the readers who wanted more gun control believe the United States should ban assault rifles and make it harder for people to buy guns. And 17 percent said only assault weapons and large ammunition clips should be banned, while 17 percent said all guns should be banned.

In the comments on the poll, reader fconverse wrote that it is "unfathomable" that people would feel it is justifiable to own assault weapons and large ammunition clips. "I think that those who read the second amendment, interpreting it as the right for any person to possess such powerful weapons that didn't exist at the time, without considering the likely purpose and intent back in 1791, are somewhat misguided."

Fairfield County leaders have also called for stricter gun controls. In a speech on the Senate floor Tuesday, U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Greenwich, said, "We need to do something to effectively ban assault weapons. I am talking about weapons that are not designed for self-defense or hunting, but rather for killing as many people as possible, as fast as possible. There is no reason that such weapons should be for sale in America today."

U.S. Rep. Jim Himes, D-Greenwich, spoke on the House floor Monday night, calling America "a country awash in guns" and saying that action must be taken. "I don't think that there's any risk we can't act. But I think that there's a profound risk that, just as after Aurora, just as after Oregon, just as after Columbine, we won't act."

The National Rifle Association released its first statement about the shootings Tuesday.

"Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting," the statement read. "The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again."

The NRA will be delivering a major press conference Friday in Washington, D.C., to further discuss the matter.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Darien Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.