DARIEN, Conn. — Much of the political spotlight is focused on the heated ballot for the presidency between Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump.
But voters in Darien are also set to vote on Tuesday, Nov. 8, in a number of races that are much closer to home.
Voters can cast ballots in races for the U.S. Senate and House:
- U.S. Senate: Democrat incumbent Richard Blumenthal of Greenwich vs. Republican challenger Dan Carter of Bethel vs. Libertarian challenger Richard Lion of Manchester vs. Green Party challenger Jeffery Russell of Glastonbury
- 4th District U.S. House: Republican challenger John Shaban of Redding vs. Democrat incumbent Jim Himes of Greenwich
There is also a race for each of the town's two State Senate seats. Darien is located in the 25th and 27th Senate Districts. Resident vote only in their district:
- State Senate District 25: Democrat incumbent Bob Duff vs. Republican challenger Gregory Ehlers
- State Senate District 27: Democrat incumbent Carlo Leone vs. Republican challenger Gino C. Bottino vs. Green Party challenger Cora Marie Santaguida
There are two State House Districts in Darien. Residents vote only in their district:
- State House District 141: Republican incumbent Terrie Wood vs. Democrat challenger Randy Klein
- State House District 147: Democrat incumbent William Tong is running unopposed
Residents will also choose candidates for Registrar of Voters and the Board of Education.
- Registrar of Voters: Republican incumbent John J. Visi and Democrat Susan K. Gray
- Board of Education (pick any two): Republican incumbent Christa S. McNamara, Republican D. Jill McCammon and Democrat Tara B. Ochman
In each of Darien's six voting districts, voters will be asked to choose members of the non-partisan Representative Town Meeting. Voters will pick between seven and 15 candidates for the RTM, depending on their district.
And for president and vice president, four teams are on the ballot:
- Democrats Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine
- Republicans Donald Trump and Mike Pence
- Libertarian Party's Gary Johnson and Bill Weld
- Green Party's Jill Stein and Ajamu Baraka
- Or you can do a write-in candidate.
Click here to see a sample ballot for Darien from the secretary of the state's website.