FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Million-dollar homes are rare in many places across the country, but they are plentiful in Fairfield County. Houses that sell for $1 million or more account for nearly a third of the housing market in Fairfield County, according to a Trulia.com study.
The Fairfield County area had the second-highest percentage of homes on the market that sold for more than $1 million, with 29.7 percent of home sales falling into that pricey category, according to the study.
Only the greater San Francisco metro area had more $1 million-plus homes with 43.5 percent selling for that much.
To put into perspective how many homes sell for more than $1 million in Fairfield County, million-dollar homes make up less than 5 percent of the for-sale market in 68 of the 100 largest metro areas in the country and less than 2 percent in 44 of the 100 largest metro areas.
But if you're going to spend $1 million on a home, you're more likely to get a better bang for your buck in Fairfield County.
The average $1 million home in Fairfield County is 3,234 square feet, placing the area 17th on the list. Compare that to the New York City metro area (including Westchester County and northern New Jersey), which gets you only an average of 1,489 square feet with your cool million.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, $1 million in the Birmingham, Ala., will get you an average of 8,059 square feet of space.
- 1 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 2 Two Teenage Girls Rescued From Water After Tubing Accident Off Fairfield
- 3 Jerome Kohlberg, Billionaire Area Businessman, Philanthropist, Dies
- 4 Westport Mom Charged With Leaving Baby In Car At Whole Foods
- 5 Man Drowns In Creek On Bridgeport/Fairfield Border After Bar Fight