DARIEN, Conn. – The Darien Community Association provides $50,000 a year to Darien High School graduates in scholarships.
The scholarships are given to new and returning college students who qualify. DCA scholarship winners from the 2014 Darien High School graduating class are:
- Victoria Chao, Amherst College
- Kelly Brustman, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Bettina Arkhurst, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Laura Anglade, Concordia College
- Rachel Andriunas, Sacred Heart University
- Jake Price, University of North Carolina, Greensboro
- Colin Pasquarella, Florida Gulf State
- Jocelyn Mendez, American University
- Julia Rae Hodenfield, Ursinas College
- Bozhidar Grozdev, University of Connecticut, Stamford
- Tristan Ersek, Marshall University
- Connor Davis, Fordham University
Two students who earned named scholarships are:
- Andrew Boe, University of Vermont, Teedie McKitterick Award
- Alexandra Ford, Ohio State University, Joy Family Scholarship
The DCA has gifted more than $2 million to more than 1,300 graduates in the past 70 years. The money comes from donations, programs, house rentals and the Thrift Shop. Scholarship recipients are chosen based on merit and need.
Applications are accepted from new graduates each May and returning students each June. The DCA Scholarship Committee reviews the application and interviews applicants to determine the winners.
Committee members include Linda Terhune (chair), Joan Barksdale, Barbara Gillespie, Ulla Kremer, Kate Larson, Judi Linskey, Nancy Klumb, Diane Schlinkert, Pat van den Broek and Susan Vogel.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.