DARIEN, Conn. -- With Darien’s students trying out Connecticut’s new computer-based standardized tests a year before they become official, the district is hosting parent meetings to keep to the community aware of the upcoming changes.
Darien Public Schools signed on to field-test the Smarter Balanced Assessments in the spring. The tests will take the place of the Connecticut Mastery Tests and the Connecticut Academic Proficiency Tests statewide in the 2014-15 academic year. The Darien School District is hosting parent information meetings on Feb. 10, 11, 12 and 13 to discuss the new tests.
Students in Grades 3 to 8 and 11 will take both the English/language arts and mathematics tests. The district will discuss the tests and upcoming changes in day and evening sessions in an effort to accommodate parents in the community.
The following is a list of time, dates and places for the meetings:
- Feb. 10: Darien High and Middlesex Middle School parents, 7 to 8:30 p.m. in the DHS auditorium
- Feb. 11: Darin High parents, 8:30 to 10 a.m. in the DHS Auditorium
- Feb. 11: Middlesex parents, 10:30 a.m. to noon, MMS Auditorium
- Feb. 12: Elementary School parents, 7 to 8:30 p.m., Tokeneke School Common Room
- Feb. 13: Elementary School parents, 9:30 to 11 a.m. Central Office
The following is a listing of presentation topics, from the Darien School District:
- How the field tests will provide feedback to our staff on student reaction to a new testing format.
- How the field tests will provide feedback about the quality of the alignment of Darien’s curriculum with the Common Core State Standards for English language arts/literacy and mathematics.
- How the field tests will help us to gain experience with logistics related to administration of these assessments, including scheduling, proctoring, and the use of technology.
- A summary of testing schedules for each grade level.
- Availability of practice tests.
- Supports and accommodations for students per their IEPs, Section 504 plans or if they are English language learners.
- 1 New Canaan Man Accused Of Sexually Assaulting 3-Year-Old At Wife's Day Care
- 2 Eversource Repairs Power Outages In Darien
- 3 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 4 Drenching Thunderstorms Headed To Darien
- 5 Box With $140K In Belongings Stolen From Couple Moving To Darien