DARIEN, Conn. -- It's back to school time for kids in Darien as summer vacation comes to an end and classes begin Monday.
Motorists should be cautious as school buses return to roads and children walk to school. Regular bus schedules are available on the Darien Public Schools homepage, and will be mailed to parents.
"The year ahead is one in which we recognize the changing face of our teaching and administrative staff. We believe that a key component to quality education is the hiring, development and support of high-quality staff," Interim Superintendent Lynne Pierson wrote in a letter to parents.
The district has hired 37 new teachers across all grade levels, as well as an interim principal at Royle School and an interim human resources director.
The school district is also in the process of interviewing candidates for the assistant superintendent for special education and student support, the director of instruction technology, an assistant principal at Holmes School and a new superintendent for the district.
Here are the school operating hours:
- Darien High School will open at 7:40 a.m. Monday and close at 2:20 p.m.
- Middlesex Middle School will open at 7:55 a.m. and close at 2:22 p.m.
- Tokeneke, Hindley and Royle Schools will open at 8:25 a.m. and close at 2:55 p.m.
- Ox Ridge and Holmes Schools will open at 9 a.m. and close at 3:30 p.m.
A special one-hour kindergarten visit has been scheduled for each elementary school Monday. Parents should provide transportation and plan to participate in orientation activities with their children. The schedules for the kindergarten visits vary by school, and parents will receive written information from the school principals.
Beginning Tuesday all kindergartners will be in school for the full day and will dismiss at the same time as students in grades 1 through 5.
Several capital improvements projects were completed across the school district this summer. Construction began in July for a new pavilion/concession stand at Darien High School, which is expected to be completed in October.
Ten classrooms were painted at Middlesex Middle School, along with the exterior of the building, and a two-year window replacement project was completed.
The elementary schools received new windows, blacktops, and freshly-painted classrooms.
The elementary schools and Middlesex Middle School also received additional security cameras, and new recording systems and window shades are currently being installed in all schools.
- 1 Former White Plains Officer Left Suicide Note At Harrison Murder Scene
- 2 Police: Woman Robs Darien Bank At Gunpoint
- 3 Details Emerge, But Questions Remain In Harrison Double Murder-Suicide
- 4 Man Finds Hand Grenade In Darien Basement
- 5 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation