DARIEN, Conn. -- Middlesex Middle School in Darien has been named among the 50 best middle schools in America by TheBestSchools.org.
Middlesex was ranked eighth in a national study of schools that include at least seventh and eighth grades.
For the study, the National Assessment of Educational Progress results in science, math, and reading for eighth-graders were used as a principal but not the only basis for comparison of schools. Standardized tests were given less weight since each state creates and administers its own tests, which makes cross-state comparisons difficult.
Finally, other factors such as awards and rankings and geographical diversity were also taken into account.
"The schools in this ranking have found a way to provide seventh and eighth graders with a rich school experience that prepares them superbly well for high school, college, and life," the website said.
The study highlighted Middlesex's fine arts programs and its "Interesting Dimensions that Extend Abilities" courses. It was also lauded for receiving the highest assessment scores in the state when all scores of all tests are combined in both seventh and eighth grades.
- 1 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 2 Probability Of A White Christmas Is Low In Darien
- 3 Darien Honors Veterans With Wreaths Across America Ceremony
- 4 Nine Sandy Hook Victim Families File Lawsuit Against Gun Maker, Seller
- 5 Sony Pulls Film; Darien Will Have To Wait On 'The Interview'