DARIEN, Conn. -- Middlesex Middle School in Darien has been named among the 50 best middle schools in America by TheBestSchools.org.
Middlesex was ranked eighth in a national study of schools that include at least seventh and eighth grades.
For the study, the National Assessment of Educational Progress results in science, math, and reading for eighth-graders were used as a principal but not the only basis for comparison of schools. Standardized tests were given less weight since each state creates and administers its own tests, which makes cross-state comparisons difficult.
Finally, other factors such as awards and rankings and geographical diversity were also taken into account.
"The schools in this ranking have found a way to provide seventh and eighth graders with a rich school experience that prepares them superbly well for high school, college, and life," the website said.
The study highlighted Middlesex's fine arts programs and its "Interesting Dimensions that Extend Abilities" courses. It was also lauded for receiving the highest assessment scores in the state when all scores of all tests are combined in both seventh and eighth grades.
- 1 Fairfield Woman Hit By Bike In Central Park Is Reportedly Brain Dead
- 2 Darien Customers Could Be Affected By Home Depot Credit Card Breach
- 3 Former Connecticut Gov. John Rowland Found Guilty Of Conspiracy
- 4 Western Connecticut Reopens Evacuated Buildings On Midtown Danbury Campus
- 5 Darien Businesswoman Applauds 40 Years Of WoodenBoat Magazine