FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. – Players from Connecticut helped the United States defeat Slovakia, 7-1, in a men’s opening hockey game Thursday at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
New Canaan’s Max Pacioretty and Greenwich native Kevin Shattenkirk picked up assists for Team USA. Hamden native Jonathan Quick stopped 22 of 23 shots in goal.
Team USA broke the game open with six goals in the second period. Paul Stastny, who plays on a line with Pacioretty, scored two goals. John Carlson, Ryan Kesler, David Backes, Phil Kessel and Dustin Brown also scored for Team USA.
Pacioretty assisted on Statsny’s first goal, which came 2:32 into the second period and gave the U.S. a 3-1 lead. Shattenkirk, a defenseman, assisted on Stastny’s goal in 13:30 into the second period and gave Team USA a 5-1 lead.
Team USA plays Saturday against Russia. Faceoff is scheduled for 7:30 a.m. EST.
- 1 Police Seeking Public's Help In Search For Missing Greenwich Teenager
- 2 Child's Play: Darien's Royle School Dedicates New Playground
- 3 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 4 'I Am A Woman,' Newtown High School Graduate Jenner Says In 20/20 Interview
- 5 Freeze Watch Issued As Wind-Chill Factor Drops To Mid-20s In Darien