DARIEN, Conn. – Darien’s girls basketball team brings the momentum of three straight victories to its homestretch battle for a playoff berth in the Fairfield County Interscholastic Athletic Conference.
The Blue Wave is 7-4 overall and 6-3 in the league. It is currently seeded eighth in the race for one of the eight league playoff spots. Fairfield Ludlowe is seeded ninth at 6-4 overall.
Darien, under first-year coach Katie Lauten, faces three key games in the next week. It hosts Greenwich (5-7) on Friday, and then meets Trinity Catholic of Stamford (8-3) and Staples (4-7) next week. All three teams are in the mix for playoff contention, along with the Blue Wave. Darien lost to Greenwich, 53-47 in overtime, in the La Vista Tournament over the December holidays.
Darien picked up a big victory Tuesday night, downing New Canaan, 50-43. Kelly Karczewski scored 16 points and Erin Karczewski added 14. The Blue Wave also got a lift from the return of Meg Marren, a senior center, who missed six games with a concussion. She scored three points in her return to the lineup.
The Blue Wave lost in the first round of the league tournament last year en route to a 12-10 mark under former coach Gary Peterson.
Darien has lost tight league games to Westhill (47-44) and Ridgefield (59-53). It also lost to Trumbull, 43-31.
- 1 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Reported Off Long Island Waters
- 2 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 3 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In Darien
- 4 Stamford EMTs Use Narcan For First Time To Save Man From Overdose
- 5 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money