DARIEN, Conn. – Olympic sailor Rob Crane of Darien will be honored at the Fairfield County Sports Commission’s Hall of Fame Dinner Monday as Darien's Sports Person of the Year.
The dinner begins at 6 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich, and several other athletes, coaches and teams from other Fairfield County communities will also be honored.
Crane, who honed his skills on Long Island Sound, sailed in the Laser class at the Olympics and placed 29th out of 49 sailors. Since graduating from Hobart College in 2009, Crane set the Olympics as a goal. He earned his berth to London when he placed 14th at the 2011 ISAF Sailing World Championships.
He was born into a family of sailors. His father was a North American champion in the Lightning and Sonar classes, and his mother was a world champion crew member in the Lightning class and a national champion in the Mistrel class.
Born in Stamford and raised in Darien, Crane was introduced to sailing at a young age at the Noroton Yacht Club. He became the first Hobart sailor to qualify for the Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association Single Handed Championship and earned a bronze in the event in 2008.
- 1 Dogs Attack Woman And Her Labrador At Darien's Tilley Pond Park
- 2 Stop & Shop Recalls Several Frozen Food Items
- 3 Truck Gets Wedged Under Metro-North Train Bridge On Route 1 In Darien
- 4 Darien Selectman Kicks Up Her Heels At ElderHouse's Dancing With The Stars
- 5 Darien Man Wins Paddle With A Paddle To Benefit AmeriCares