DARIEN, Conn. -- Darien High School senior Alex Ostberg will receive the Darien Sports Person of the Year Award at the Fairfield County Sports Commission’s 10th annual Sports Night dinner on Monday, Oct. 20.
Ostberg will receive the award along with winners from 14 other communities at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich. The dinner begins at 6 p.m.
Ostberg had a brilliant year in cross country and track for the Blue Wave, and saved his best for last.
Competing at the New Balance Outdoor National Championships in North Carolina in June, Ostberg blew away the field to win the 5,000 meters. His time of 14:16.61 was the fastest 5K of the year in the nation and the second best time in the history of the race.
Just a few days earlier, Ostberg helped the Blue Wave win their first State Open title in the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Association Outdoor track and field championships. He anchored the winning 4 x 800 relay team, was second in the 3,200 and third in the 1,600.
Ostberg also had an excellent cross country season, where he again saved his best for the biggest stage. He finished 11th in December’s Foot Locker National Championships. He finished third in the State Open and second in the New third at the Foot Locker Northeast Regionals.
The Sports Commission is establishing an annual Sports Person of the Year for Newtown as part of its recent working alliance with the Newtown Youth Academy Sports and Fitness Center. Each year going forward Newtown will be included in the recognition of the sports persons in each community in an effort to support the town and its youth following the shooting tragedy at Sandy Hook. This year's winner is coach Maura Fletcher, who led the Newtown High girls' lacrosse team to 10 straight SWC titles before retiring in June. Fletcher was named the Connecticut High School Coaches Association Coach of the Year for girls' lacrosse.
The Sports Persons of the Year from other communities are:
- BRIDGEPORT- Central High boys' basketball team, Class LL state champions
- EASTON- Chris Thomas, National Men's Masters Tri-athlete of the Year
- FAIRFIELD- Christian Alvarado, Fairfield Prep runner, National 1-mile champion
- GREENWICH- Austin Longi, Greenwich High football and track & field standout
- MONROE- Tatum Buckley, Masuk High softball pitcher, Gatorade State Player of Year
- NEW CANAAN- Max Pacioretty, U.S. Olympic hockey player, NHL standout
- NORWALK- Cameron Wilson, NCAA individual golf champion
- SHELTON- Division 10 Shelton Vikings cheer team, national champions
- STAMFORD- Stamford Stars 12U softball team, New England champions
- STRATFORD- Stratford Brakettes, undefeated national champion softball team
- TRUMBULL- St. Joseph High boys' lacrosse team, Class S state champions
- WESTON- Michael Carter, Weston Stadium Lights Committee/Weston Sports Commission
- WESTPORT- Hannah DeBalsi, Staples High runner, National 2-mile champion
- WILTON- Noah Farrell, Wilton High tennis player, 4-time Class L state champion
The Fairfield County Sports Commission is a 501c3 non-profit organization that is the one-stop resource for the sports community in the area, with a mission of promoting fitness and personal development through sports. For more information concerning tickets and sponsorship opportunities for Sports Night, visit www.fairfieldcountysports.com or call 203-251-8481.
- 1 Just In Time For 'Shark Week,' New Sighting Reported Off Long Island Waters
- 2 Teen Killed After Being Hit By Car Crossing Road To Danbury Pizza Place
- 3 Rain Could Spoil July 4 Events, Celebrations In Darien
- 4 Stamford EMTs Use Narcan For First Time To Save Man From Overdose
- 5 New Scam Showing Up On Facebook Could Cost You Lots Of Money