FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- MVP quarterback Timmy Graham led the Darien Blue Wave to a 28-21 Thanksgiving Day victory over archrival New Canaan — and to a second straight championship in the Fairfield County Interscholastic Conference.
Both teams were undefeated going into the annual Turkey Bowl matchup, one of the biggest rivalries in Connecticut high school sports.
Other high school football teams from all over the county also played in their traditional Thanksgiving rivalry games on Wednesday and Thursday.
Here's a rundown of results from the games played across Fairfield County:
- Ridgefield topped Danbury, 48-20.
- Fairfield Warde bested Fairfield Ludlowe, 35-14.
- Harding blanked Bridgeport Central, 48-0.
- Westhill beat Stamford, 15-0, to win the Frank Robotti Trophy, which is awarded to the Stamford public school football champion.
- Staples won the matchup against Greenwich, 28-26.
- Joel Barlow beat Weston, 27-14.
- New Fairfield topped New Milford, 31-7.
- Shelton beat Derby, 49-0.
- Stratford topped Bunnell, 24-13.
- Norwalk beat Brien McMahon, 36-7.
- St. Joseph topped Trumbull, 17-10.
- Fairfield Prep fell to West Haven, 21-14
- Brookfield beat Bethel, 31-7.
- Trinity Catholic topped Wilton, 41-14.
The annual rivalry games were nearly lost earlier this year when the FCIAC changed its schedules, ruling that all teams would be divided into two divisions, with the winners of each division playing each other in a championship game on Thanksgiving. But after backlash from coaches, players, parents and community members, the FCIAC revised its schedule again to allow for the traditional Thanksgiving rivalry games.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.