DARIEN, Conn. – The Connecticut Ice Cats 12-and-under girls hockey team, which is sponsored by the Darien Youth Hockey Association, won the Tier II Connecticut Hockey Conference state tournament last weekend with a dominating performance in Simsbury.
The Ice Cats defeated Greenwich Skate Club, 2-1, in the championship game. In four games, the Ice Cats outscored opponents, 24-2. Darien opened with a 2-0 win over Greenwich before routing Northern Lights Maroon, 9-0, and the Polar Bears, 11-1.
The Ice Cats finished the season 30-13-3 and went 5-1 in conference regular season games. Its only loss was a 2-1 setback to Greenwich in December.
Ice Cats players are Caroline McDermott, Eliza Bowman, Caitlin Cavanaugh, Jessie Eccleston, Effie Tournas, Maris Estevez, Kasey Mazzone, Christina Tournas, Mimi Pastor, Katie Daileader, Katie Piotrzkowski, Paige Keating, Flynn Reed, Ashley Graichen, Shea van den Broek, Amanda Hill and Elosie LeClerc. Coaches are: Jamie Tropsa, Kayla Grace and Bob Mazzone.
- 1 Supreme Court: No Immunity For Darien Police In Fatal Raid On Easton Home
- 2 Thunderstorms Could Produce Gusty Winds, Hail In Darien
- 3 Child's Play: Darien's Royle School Dedicates New Playground
- 4 Nearly 1M Bicycles Recalled After Rider Is Paralyzed
- 5 Man Found Dead In Car In Grocery Store Parking Lot In Fairfield