DARIEN, Conn. -- Darien High School runner Alex Ostberg was named Thursday as the Gatorade Runner of the Year for Connecticut in cross country.
Ostberg, a junior, raced to the Class L state championship this past season in a time of 15:34, leading the Blue Wave to the state title as a team. He finished third at the Foot Locker Northeast Regional championships and took 11th nationally at the Foot Locker national championships in 15:31.
He also won the Bethel Invitational, finished second at the New England Cross Country Championships and was third at the State Open.
Ostberg has maintained a 4.01 GPA in the classroom. He has volunteered locally as an emergency medical technician.
“This was the first year that Alex was actually healthy for championship season,” Darien coach Tyson Kaczmarek said. “He’s one of the most dedicated and hard-working athletes I have ever coached. He does all the extra things a runner can do to be their best.”
- 1 CDC Confirms First Case Of EV-D68 In Connecticut Child
- 2 Fairfield Woman Hit By Bike In Central Park Is Reportedly Brain Dead
- 3 Darien Customers Could Be Affected By Home Depot Credit Card Breach
- 4 Western Connecticut Reopens Evacuated Buildings On Midtown Danbury Campus
- 5 Former Connecticut Gov. John Rowland Found Guilty Of Conspiracy