DARIEN, Conn. -- Darien High School runner Alex Ostberg was named Thursday as the Gatorade Runner of the Year for Connecticut in cross country.
Ostberg, a junior, raced to the Class L state championship this past season in a time of 15:34, leading the Blue Wave to the state title as a team. He finished third at the Foot Locker Northeast Regional championships and took 11th nationally at the Foot Locker national championships in 15:31.
He also won the Bethel Invitational, finished second at the New England Cross Country Championships and was third at the State Open.
Ostberg has maintained a 4.01 GPA in the classroom. He has volunteered locally as an emergency medical technician.
“This was the first year that Alex was actually healthy for championship season,” Darien coach Tyson Kaczmarek said. “He’s one of the most dedicated and hard-working athletes I have ever coached. He does all the extra things a runner can do to be their best.”
- 1 Darien Man Charged With Assaulting, Strangling Wife In Stamford
- 2 Red Flag Warning Issued For Fairfield County
- 3 House Speaker John Boehner Drops By The Goose In Darien
- 4 Heavy Rain, Possible Thunderstorms Will Be Moving Into Darien
- 5 Teen Takes Responsibility For 2008 Death Of 13-Year-Old Wilton Bicyclist