DARIEN, Conn. -- Darien High School dismissed early on Monday due to a malfunction in an oil burner.
Principal Ellen Dunn sent a letter to parents, letting them know that the oil burner was not properly functioning overnight, and an odor was detected on the first floor of the building. School officials became aware of the issue first thing in the morning, Dunn said.
"The system has been adjusted and the problem corrected but the ventilation system will take some time to refresh the building. The fire and police have evaluated the situation and have determined that the air quality is safe," Dunn said.
"We have made the decision to dismiss school for the day to allow the for the odor to dissipate as at this time it is uncomfortable and disruptive to the learning process."
Students who take the bus or drive were dismissed at 9:15 a.m. All other students were dismissed as parents arrive through the auditorium at the front of the building.
Athletic practices and other after school activities will be held as regularly scheduled, as officials anticipate that the building will be fully cleared by then.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.