DARIEN, Conn. - Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Darien this week:
- Assistant Superintendent Timothy Canty, assumed the post of Darien Public Schools’ Acting Superintendent post after Superintendent Stephen Falcone resigned.
- Five car burglaries were reported all within half mile of each other, in one night, according to Darien police reports.
- Charles Jean, 41, of Stamford was charged with DUI after driving on the wrong side of the road and crashed another car in Darien, police said.
- Julius Smith Jr., 21, and Kwasi Opoku Jr., 27, of Bronx, N.Y. were arrested in Darien after allegedly stealing pre-paid gift cards from a CVS store, police said.
- David Belton, 20, a man of Bridgeport was sentenced to six years in prison for his part in a one-night burglary spree in June 2012 that struck 17 cars and two residences in Darien.
A new trial was ordered for Greenwich resident and Kennedy cousin Michael Skakel after a judge overturned his conviction in the 1975 murder of Martha Moxley.